We are a clinician-led organisation where patient education and support services are initiated by the very people who treat breast cancer patients every day.
Your donation will help us enhance breast cancer treatment and care, and increase survival rates.
We began in 2009 with a vision to provide high quality care while conducting research that would deliver the most advanced treatments and save lives.
BCRC-WA conducts research into breast cancer treatment and care that underpins the treatment we provide to our patients.
Breast Cancer is the most common cancer amongst women in Australian. It is estimated by Breast Cancer Network Australia (BCNA) in 2020 an estimated 20,168 Australians will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
Advances in research, treatment and care, as well as improvements in the detection of breast cancer means that Australia has one of the best breast cancer survival rates in the world, however there remains much work still to do in the world of breast cancer. That’s not to say it is not a shocking diagnosis to receive.
At BCRC-WA we are working constantly to increase this figure and to enhance breast cancer treatments through our clinical trials and research projects which are recognised internationally for their standards and successes.
Some more facts about breast cancer from Breast Cancer Network Australia:
• The number of people being diagnosed with breast cancer in Australia is increasing; however the number of deaths from breast cancer is decreasing
• The risk of developing breast cancer increases with age
• The risk of being diagnosed with breast cancer by age 85 is 1 in 8 for women and 1 in 631 for men
• The average age of first diagnosis of breast cancer is 61 years
• 79% of new cases of breast cancer in women develop over the age of 50
• The chance of surviving at least five years (five year relative survival) has increased from 72% in 1982-1987 to 90.1% in 2009-2013.
To find out more information about breast cancer, please refer to the following helpful resources.
BCNA is an national organisation for Australians affected by breast cancer.
An independent, evidence-based cancer organisation in Western Australia.
Online and group workshops for women with a cancer diagnosis
Offering free community workshops for women and men impacted by Cancer